Saturday, June 28, 2014

DIY surf wax candle

surf wax candle
My favorite summer days are those spent driving with the windows down, surf boards stacked on top of the car, staying all day at the beach, and coming home salty, tired, and ready to do it all again the next day. To bring some of these summertime vibes into my room (and to remind me of sunny days even when the weather turns cold), I created these surf wax candles.

These could not be simpler to make! And if you've never smelled surf wax- it pretty much smells like summer in a bar of wax (aka the best scent in the world).

sex wax
I picked up some surf wax from a local surf shop (Coastal Edge). I found that Sex Wax melts well (and the colors are gorgeous). I tried Sticky Bumps also, and it was thicker and harder to use (but the candle still came out all right!).

You'll also need glass containers for the candles (I found some at the thrift store) and candle wicks (I got mine from Michael's craft store).

melting wax
I melted my wax in a glass jar placed inside a pot of boiling water. (You could also use a recycled metal can- that way you can throw it away when you're done).

candle making
When the wax was completely melted, I removed the jar from the pot with potholders, and poured the wax into my candle container. I quickly placed the wick in the middle of the candle, and made this popsicle stick contraption to hold it in the middle.

candles
After the candles were completely hardened, I trimmed the wick- and they were finished! (Note: next time I'm going to save a little wax to melt and pour over the top of the candle when it's hardened, to fill in the indentation around the wick).

aqua surf wax candle

surf wax candles

surf candle
I think everyone needs one of these rad, surf wax candles in their life. I kind of want to make a million of these now (don't be surprised if you get one from me for Christmas).

Have a lovely weekend- go out and enjoy the summertime weather! (And then come inside and make a few of these candles).

21 comments :

  1. This is such an amazing idea ! ♥
    On the last pictures of your post, I saw a lovely notebook below the candles. Is it you who painted the cover ?
    Have a lovely sunday! ♥ xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elisa! ♥♥
      Yup, I painted the cover of my sketchbook :) (I'm so happy you noticed!)

      Delete
  2. Great way to make a candle! I've seen many diy technique to make a candle, but this looks very easy and fast. I love photos on your blog <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that really means a lot! ♥ Yeah, I wanted to do something quick and easy since I don't have much experience with candle making (and luckily it turned out well!)

      Delete
  3. They look really pretty, I also love the colours! But the wax appears to have a bit of a naughty name :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the color selection of surf wax!! Haha, indeed it does (but good marketing technique, I'd say).

      Delete
  4. *adds this to ever growing DIY to do list in my head*
    Now I am going to have steal some of this off one of my more surfy friends and make at least ten of them:D This is such a good idea.

    x
    Alannah I Kissing Winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm so glad you like it! Let me know if you try it out, I'd love to see! ♥

      Delete
  5. I really love the colours of these candles! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! :) And surf wax comes in even more pretty colors that I need to try out!

      Delete
  6. Does it matter which temperature surf wax you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shouldn't matter that much. I tried the colder temperature surf wax in the Sticky Bumps brand, and it worked but didn't melt as smoothly as the warmer temp in the Sex Wax brand. So I'm not sure if it was the brand, or the temperature that made the difference (I'm thinking it was the brand). But either way, they both worked! :)

      Delete
  7. Love this idea! I tried doing it with Sticky bumps and it actually caught fire. Have you ever had this happen? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I have never experienced the wax catching on fire! Make sure you don't melt it directly on a stove (put it in a separate container in a pot of water on the stove). I'm sorry this happened to you, I hope you have better luck next time!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for posting this informative article thanks for sharing your great post,wish you have a nice day,happy every day.

    Balsa Surfboard & Balsa Wood

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love these candles, looks so beautiful, being Mason Jar Candles maker. I just love your post. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I have been trying to make candles out of used surfboard wax. I melt it, filter out the grungy stuff, pour into small glass jars with a wick (have tried all kinds of wicks). They don't stay lit. Do you think this is a cold water wax issue or have any ideas? Thanks! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have found that this site is very informative, interesting and very well written. keep up the nice high quality writing. Candles on Sale

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had the same issue with the wick not staying lit. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete