Monday, August 12, 2013

fabric envelope {DIY}

stellaire fabric envelope
I love making envelopes because they're so simple, and they're fun to decorate and embellish. I decided to step away from my usual paper envelopes and try a new material; fabric. It took a bit longer to make, but the result is so pretty! Here's a tutorial if you want to make a fabric envelope too!

fabric and template
Print out an envelope template that is the size you want. A quick google search will come up with dozens for you to choose from. Then pick out fabric for the outside and lining of your envelope.

cutting fabric
On the wrong side of the fabric, trace your template. Lay the two fabric pieces on top of each other and cut out the template, with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

pinning
Pin the pieces with the right sides together and sew along the traced template line. Leave an inch or two open on one edge. Trim the excess fabric that was left for seam allowance, except around the opening.

sewing
Turn your envelope right side out and press the seams. Fold in the opening and press it as well.

edges
Sew around the entire envelope, including over the opening.

sewing together
Make a few small stitches at the top of each edge flap to bring it together with the bottom flap.

fabric envelope
Iron the envelope so you have crisp edges, and you're finished!

necklace in envelope
This envelope would be perfect to wrap a small gift for someone, like a pretty necklace.

floral envelope
You could sew on a vintage button if you want to add a little embellishment.

floral fabric envelope
I'm sure you can come up with dozens of ways to use this little fabric envelope. If you decide to make one, let me know! I'd love to see! ♥

14 comments :

  1. such a thoughtful gift! it's sooooo pretty *-*!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful envelope, Jordan! Love the vintage-y fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay so hello. I basically just stalked your entire blog, perusing through tons of your posts. I must say, your photography is incredible and this is one of the most beautiful and creative blogs I have come by!
    I love thrifting & I adore all your vintage items!
    I also love the template and set up of you blog - it is so pretty! What camera do you use for your photography?
    I'm so glad I found this <3
    xx Grace
    abitgraceful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of your compliments!! Your comment really made my day and I can't thank you enough. ♥
      I use a Canon Rebel T3i, it's a great camera and I would definitely recommend it. Have a wonderful day! ♥♥

      Delete
  4. So pretty! I'm definitely putting this on my DIY board on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! If you liked it enough to pin it, then that's definitely a good sign ;). Thank you! ♥

      Delete
  5. This is so sweet~

    http://cafecraftea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, where did you bought those lovely fabrics? I like them so much!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This is a very wonderful Fabrics and Great advice! I am really enjoyed to read this post and all comments. Thank you for sharing valuable information.
    A Good News for All! Up to 85% off! Eades Discount Wallpaper and Fabric is your first top quality home decor shop! Add the items to your cart! Shop with us 24/7 for all your discount needs!

    ReplyDelete