Tuesday, August 14, 2012

beachy shell anklet DIY

I love the beach more than anything. I would be happy spending the rest of my life by the ocean. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of living super close to the coast (hour and a half away at the least), so my beach trips are limited to the occasional drive to Florida or visting my family in Virginia Beach. I decided to try to bring a little bit of the beach to my everyday life by making this shell anklet.

You'll just need to gather a few things; some twine, a few small shells, and some beads that look like sea glass (unless you're lucky enough to have some real sea glass). I have a huge collection of shells that I've accumulated during all my beach visits, but if you don't have any, you can order some online or go buy some in a shell shop.

 So in order to string the shells on the twine, they need holes. I did not want to have to deal with figuring out how to use a drill, (and I think my shells are too tiny to use a drill on) so I came up with my own method. Use a flat headed pin and hammer it through the shell. If you try to use anything much bigger than a pin (like a nail) on such a small shell, the shell will most likely shatter.

To make the hole big enough to put the twine through, twist an exacto knife around the hole, slowly shaving off the edges until you get it the size you want.

To make the bracelet, cut three strands of twine long enough to go around you ankle and be tied. Start braiding them and add beads and shells as you go along.

When you're finished, tie the end in a knot, leaving a few inches of twine on both sides so you can tie it around your ankle.

Now you have a little part of the beach to keep with you everywhere you go! Time to go dream about cool, ocean, breezes and catching the perfect wave... ♥

10 comments :

  1. Hello! I am an avid reader of your wonderful blog and it had brought me much inspiration and motivation :) I realized we are quite similar in certain ways - love for Kraft, paper, tape, envelopes, quotes, storybook pages, floral or anything pretty!! So I'm wondering if you would like a pen pal all the way from Asia ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading my blog, I'm glad you like it! That is really what makes me happiest, when I find out people are inspired by what I do. I would love to pen pal with you!! Send me an email and we can discuss it a little more. ♥
    stellaireblog@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am one of the lucky ones... I do live by the ocean.. we just moved to a beach cottage by the sea here in FL in OCt.. love this diy.. thank you.. I"m so gonna try this with the little shells I find here on our beaches! hugs thank you.. love your photos!
    bonitarose
    http://bonitarose.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so nice to live in a beach cottage, I would absolutely love that! Yay, I'm glad you like the tutorial! When you make one, I would love to see a picture of it! And thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I found the twine I used in this tutorial at AC Moore (if you're in the US), but any craft store would have it. You could also check etsy if you don't have a craft store near you!

      Delete
  6. Thanks a lot; this is the most useful blog that I found; good work (Y)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! ♥

      Delete
  7. I just wanted to say that your blog inspires me so much, and I love your posts. This is actually my favorite blog haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wowwww.. awesum shells anklet.. great design. i will give FIVE STARS to this anklet

    ReplyDelete