Sunday, May 11, 2014

mother's day // blueberry muffins

blueberry muffins
I have always baked something for my mom on Mother's Day- from the time I was young and had to have my dad's help, to now where I've taken the tradition into my own hands. Some particularly delicious things I remember making in past years include lavender shortbread, fresh strawberry cupcakes, and cinnamon breakfast puffs. This year I decided on something simple, but still yummy- blueberry muffins.

muffin
I knew I wanted to make them from scratch (I feel like I'm cheating every time I use a box mix!), so I searched for recipes and found one from Barbara Bakes.

muffin
I really liked this recipe! The muffins came out perfectly light and moist, with a crisp topping from the streusel. I used fresh blueberries and they stayed suspended in the muffin, they didn't sink to the bottom!

blueberry muffin
I made a few slight changes to the recipe:
- I used coconut milk instead of regular milk
- I added 3/4 cup of sugar instead of 1 cup
- I baked them for 35 minutes

Also, next time I'm going to add a little lemon zest! I forgot to this time, but I feel like these muffins were missing just a little something, and lemon zest would be the perfect enhancement.

blueberry muffin
Everyone in my family loved these muffins, so this is definitely a recipe I will be repeating!

I hope everyone had a wonderful and relaxing Sunday. Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

2 comments :