Monday, July 30, 2012

floral skirt

I started watching the new season of Project Runway on Friday (I know, I'm a couple weeks late) and it got me inspired to start sewing again (my last sewing project was making these for Christmas gifts). I had some fabric that I got on sale because it was the end of the bolt, so I got however much was left (I think it was a little over a yard and a half). I decided I needed a new skirt in my wardrobe, so I looked up some ideas online. I kind of followed this tutorial and kind of just made it up as I went along. I didn't have enough fabric to make it as gathered as I wanted, but it still turned out ok just using what I had.

The hardest part was the zipper. I don't have much experience with zippers, so I sat for a while trying to figure out how to place the zipper and sew it correctly. I used a metal zipper because I knew I wanted to have it exposed, and I like the look of metal rather than plastic. 

Another thing that made the skirt a little more difficult to sew was that I added a lining. I want to try making this skirt again, but with a fabric that is thicker and doesn't need a lining.


When I finished sewing, I was holding my breath as I tried  it on... and it fit! I plan on wearing it with a cream colored colored, vintage button-up shirt I found at a thrift store. (Bonus: it even has a lacy, peter pan collar, perfect!)

Can you tell I like floral patterns? ;)

2 comments :

  1. THIS IS SO CUTE! I love that fabric and your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Isn't that fabric wonderful? I love it too!

    ReplyDelete