Monday, July 11, 2011

How to make mini teacups


 I love anything mini. And I love making mini things. So when I found this Japanese website, I couldn't wait to try some of their tutorials. I made mini teacups out of polymer clay following these instructions. I did things slightly different, so I made my own tutorial.
You'll need:
-Polymer clay (I used white)
-Cornstarch
-A rounded pen cap
-An exacto knife
-Paint


Condition a piece of clay so it's easy to work with.

 Rub cornstarch on the pen cap to prevent the clay from sticking to it.

Mold the clay onto the pen cap, keeping an even thickness all around. Decide how tall you want your teacup and trim the excess clay. Slide the teacup off the pen.

This is how it should look. Press the teacup down lightly on a hard surface to make the bottom flat. Smooth the edges out.

Roll out a strip of clay and flatten it with your fingers. Trim the edges so they are even.

Make a loop like this.

Cut off the extra clay at the end of the loop. Cut an opening in the loop. This will be the handle.


Using liquid sculpey, glue on the handle. (Liquid sculpey hardens like clay when baked).

Your teacup is finished! Now time for the plate.

Roll a small ball of clay and flatten it. Use your palm to shape it. (WARNING: YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET IT PERFECT, SO DON'T GET FRUSTRATED)

The plate is finished!

Make as many as you want and then bake them for the time and temperature on the clay package. (I used the Sculpey III brand which bakes for 15 minutes at 275 degrees).


Pick out the paint colors you want. You can use a super small paintbrush or a toothpick.

Paint on your design!
Put a little bit of glue on the plate and glue on the teacup.

You're finished! String it on a piece of thread or cord to make a necklace.

8 comments :

  1. Your mini teacups are adorable! I love the hot pink one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute Jordan :) You are so creative! I think mini things are so charming ^–^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I think mini things are charming too, I love anything mini!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi there! Thank you soooo much for this tutorial! I've been looking for something similar for a long time now! :) I checked out the japanese website you linked to, and it's absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    Love

    The Creative Muslimah
    www.thecreativemuslimah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your welcome and thank you! I just went to your blog and I love all your tutorials and polymer clay creations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to pin this, http://pinterest.com/nelliobunny/cute-diy/

    Too cute! I can't wait to try this. And thanks for pointing me in the direction of that tutorial website ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm glad you liked it! And thanks for pinning it! :)

      Delete
  7. your first post around 6 years ago. it took me a while to come here, but you got excellent blog and just wanted to know were and how you started.

    ReplyDelete