Saturday, March 29, 2014

vinyl bowl DIY

vinyl bowl diy
I went thrifting the other day and came across a huge stash of vintage records, so I bought a few to do something crafty with. I've seen these vinyl bowls all over the web, so I decided to try making them myself! I put together a mini tutorial to show you what I did.

record
First, find some records with pretty labels (I chose this one because I liked the light blue color). Thrift stores are the best place to find old records; these were only 25 cents each!

making
Heat your oven to 225°F. Place the record on top of a glass bowl, and put a glass jar in the center to hold it down.

making
After 5 to 10 minutes, the edges of the record will begin to ripple and it should be pretty malleable. Push the glass jar into the record so it forms a bowl shape. You can put it back in the oven for a few minutes and pull it out to reshape it even more, if you need to.

vinyl bowl
When you have the shape you want, let it harden (this happens very quickly) and pull it out of the glass bowl. That's all there is to it!

vinyl bowl
I put my vinyl bowl on my nightstand to throw in my keys and wallet at the end of the day. You could also use them to store yarn, or other crafty things. And these would be a super easy gift to make for that one hipster friend we all have (you know who I'm talking about). So if you're feeling crafty one afternoon, run to the thrift store and try making a few of these vinyl bowls!

4 comments :

  1. It's a so great idea, i love it!
    But i'm scary to do that, don't want to burn my house xD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! ♥
      Yeah, I was a little worried when I started this project (since melting plastic isn't necessarily safe), but I just kept an eye it while it was in the oven and nothing went wrong! :)

      Delete
  2. This idea is wonderful! ♥
    Now, I have to find some records ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, go find some records and try it, it's so easy and fun! ♥

      Delete